We’re just under three months away now from the beginning of another BCHL season and a signal we’re inching closer came today as the league released the schedule for the regular season opening showcase weekend in Chilliwack.
The third annual showcase will get underway September 19th with games continuing all day Saturday and Sunday the 21st, all played at Prospera Centre, home of the Chilliwack Chiefs. The Rivermen will face their first regular season test as the visiting team on the 19th taking on the Salmon Arm Silverbacks at 4pm in the main rink. The Riv will then face the Victoria Grizzlies at 2pm on the Sunday in the secondary arena in a battle of two defending division champions. The rest of the BCHL schedule is expected to be released in the coming days.
It’s a pretty favourable starting schedule for the Rivermen who, unlike some teams, don’t have to play on back to back dates (the Powell River Kings have the misfortune of playing their first showcase game at 7pm Saturday night followed by another at 10:30am Sunday morning).
The BCHL showcase has been an excellent venue for scouts the last couple seasons bringing in hundreds from the NCAA and the NHL. That, afterall, is the main purpose of the event, which is to provide a centralized venue for all 16 teams to compete to kick off the season. Each matchup features inter-divisional games once again as the Riv will still make trips to Salmon Arm and Victoria as well as host the Silverbacks and Grizzlies during the season.
Unfortunately Rivermen fans will have to wait just a bit longer to find out the rest of the season schedule, including the home opener date. But it’ll all be coming down the pipe very soon!
Friday, Sept. 19:
- 3:30pm Vernon Vipers vs. Cowichan Valley Capitals – Secondary Rink
- 4pm Salmon Arm Silverbacks vs. Langley Rivermen – Main Rink
- 7pm Coquitlam Express vs. West Kelowna Warriors – Secondary Rink
- 7:30pm Penticton Vees vs. Surrey Eagles – Main Rink
Saturday, Sept. 20:
- 11:30am Cowichan Valley Capitals vs. Merritt Centennials – Secondary Rink
- 12:00pm Trail Smoke Eaters vs. Coquitlam Express – Main Rink
- 3pm Alberni Valley Bulldogs vs. Penticton Vees – Secondary Rink
- 3:30pm Victoria Grizzlies vs. Vernon Vipers – Main Rink
- 6:30pm Nanaimo Clippers vs. Prince George Spruce Kings – Secondary Rink
- 7pm Chilliwack Chiefs vs. Powell River Kings – Main Rink
Sunday, Sept. 21:
- 10:30am Powell River Kings vs. Trail Smoke Eaters – Secondary Rink
- 11am Prince George Spruce Kings vs. Alberni Valley Bulldogs – Main Rink
- 2pm Langley Rivermen vs. Victoria Grizzlies – Secondary Rink
- 2:30pm West Kelowna Warriors vs. Nanaimo Clippers – Main Rink
- 5:30pm Surrey Eagles vs. Salmon Arm Silverbacks – Secondary Rink
- 6pm Merritt Centennials vs. Chilliwack Chiefs – Main Rink